Patch for Plugin "No Output"

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Dec 14 09:56:21 CET 2006

Ethan Galstad wrote:
> As I'm catching up on old patches, I thought I'd bring this old thread
> up one more time to try and get a feel for people's thoughts.
>
> Personally, I would prefer not to skip empty lines of plugin output in
> an effort to find the first line of text - that should be fixed in plugins.

True, but it will save some on support effort on nagios-help and
nagios-users where newbies generally ask why their plugins' output
doesn't show up in the gui while it does when they run it from the
command-line. A cut 'n paste of the run generally excludes any empty
lines so it takes several mailings to get it right.

> However, grabbing output from stderr might be of interest to people for
> debugging purposes as Bob mentioned.  Is there sufficient interest to
> justify a patch of some kind?  If so, how would the output from stderr
> be treated?  Would it go into a macro other than $HOST/SERVICEOUTPUT$,
> or would it be best to tag it onto the end?

stderr output is probably mostly useful in the gui only. I wouldn't want
to get notified about UNKNOWN states that only has debug output in them
(unless the stderr output is the *only* output). When I'm trying new
plugins and stuff I'm constantly monitoring the GUI anyways, and I guess
that's how the majority of home-cookers do it once past the alpha stage
of command-line runs.

The "(no output returned from plugin)" shouldn't appear if there is
output on stderr.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se