Patch for Plugin "No Output"

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Dec 14 06:30:22 CET 2006

As I'm catching up on old patches, I thought I'd bring this old thread
up one more time to try and get a feel for people's thoughts.

Personally, I would prefer not to skip empty lines of plugin output in
an effort to find the first line of text - that should be fixed in plugins.

However, grabbing output from stderr might be of interest to people for
debugging purposes as Bob mentioned.  Is there sufficient interest to
justify a patch of some kind?  If so, how would the output from stderr
be treated?  Would it go into a macro other than $HOST/SERVICEOUTPUT$,
or would it be best to tag it onto the end?

bobi at netshel.net wrote:
> That's wonderful, but what about capturing stderr for diagnostics?
>
> This is where a good portion of the problems appear when something goes
> wrong and needs to be debugged?
>
> I think it would be a grand idea make the parent process prove stderr
> diagnostics if stdout has nothing to say.
>
> As an aside, is there a way I can get involved in the 3.x series
> discussions/development?  If nothing else, I'd sure like to see what's
> coming around the corner and perhaps help out...
>
> Bob
>
>> Thomas Sluyter wrote:

>>> You'll like Nagios 3 when it comes out. It'll allow you to read
>>> multiple lines of stdout. So be patient, little grasshopper.
>>>
>>> Cheers! o/
>>>

>>> Thomas
>>>
>> As Thomas mentioned, Nagios 3 will support multiple lines of output from
>> plugins, so this patch would break that future feature. :-)  In Nagios 3
>> any output after the first line will get thrown into either the
>> $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$ or $LONGHOSTOUTPUT$ macros, depending on what type
>> of check was performed.  There is also a 4K or 8K limit on the output
>> size to prevent runaway plugins from returning too much data.
>>

>> Ethan Galstad,
>> Nagios Developer

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer