ocsp slows nagios a great deal

loren jan wilson loren at uchicago.edu
Mon Aug 14 18:45:56 CEST 2006

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 09:57:27AM -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
> > Could you be more specific about how I might do said testing?
> > I guess I could start by compiling with "--enable-DEBUGALL".. would
> > that tell me what I need to know? Any other things?
>
> I'd personally start by adding time markers to your submit_check_result
> script around important sections --

I tried this but I need to get millisecond timings to be helpful (most
send_nsca events are triggered & return in the same second, it turns
out) and I can't get embedded perl interpreter to use Time::HiRes for
some reason (nor can I really see the error messages, since error
output from ocsp commands doesn't seem to be saved anywhere...  using
mini_epn it works fine at the command line).

Also, since I can't get timings when ocsp is turned off (since it's
the ocsp command that does the logging), I can't establish a baseline,
and the information would be of limited use anyway.

Even when /bin/true is my ocsp command, I lose 600 checks every 5
minutes... that definitely points to the ocsp command itself not being
totally to blame.

I think I'm going to have to switch to a different product. I've been
trying to get nagios working for months now, but it's just been one
battle after another, and finding support has been very difficult. I
hate to lose all the work i've already done & start from scratch, but
I don't see how to get past this problem, and running 12 monitoring
servers that cost $5000 a piece (plus maintenance) isn't really an
option for me.  :-(

Loren