ocsp slows nagios a great deal

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Aug 14 16:57:27 CEST 2006

I'd personally start by adding time markers to your submit_check_result
script around important sections --

#!/bin/bash
LOGFILE=/usr/local/nagios/var/submit.log; export LOGFILE

echo -n `date` . " " >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
echo "Entering OCSP command " >> $LOGFILE 2>&1

{command line processing code}

echo -n `date` . " " >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
echo "Calling send_nsca " >> $LOGFILE 2>&1

{send_nsca command}

echo -n `date` . " " >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
echo "NSCA exited with exit code: $? " >> $LOGFILE 2>&1

echo -n `date` . " " >> $LOGFILE 2>&1
echo "Exiting submit_check_result" >> $LOGFILE 2>&1

That'll give you an idea if the delay comes from calling the ocsp
command in general orsend_nsca itself.

> Also, do the nagios developers know that ocsp is such a big
> performance hit (on solaris 10, at least), or is this coming as
> a surprise?

I've been on the lists for 4 years and I don't recall it. That's a lot
of time to forget things though and not many installations are of that
size. At any rate, it's not common. What Ethan knows of it only he can
say.

--
Marc