QUERY: Obsessive-Compulsive Processors obsessing too much?

bruce nagios-devel at vicious.dropbear.id.au
Thu Apr 27 18:01:33 CEST 2006

One of the things that I ran into when tracking down my runaway process
issue, is the handling of the obsessive-compulsive options.  In
particular, while the service checks are run in parallel, the ocsp_command
is run in series (along with event handlers and so forth, all by
reap_service_checks).  To illustrate, a set of 5 services may well be run
at the same time, taking T(service_run_time), but then the
ocsp_commands are run one after another, taking T(N*ocsp_command_time) :

   Parallel Service      |   |   |   |   |                                  T
   Check Execution       |   |   |   |   |   ( run_service_checks() )
                           \  \  |  /   /                                   I
   Reaper                    \  \|/   /
   Interval                    \ |  /                                       M
                                 V           ( reap_service_checks )
                                ---          ( my_system )                  E
   Serial                       ---          ( my_system )
   Obsessive-Compulsive         ---                                         |
   Execution                    ---                                         V
                                ---

In the setup that I am working on, I have Nagios running at a rate of at
least 1 service check per second, with an ocsp_command to distribute the
results to other machines.  Thus, every reaper_interval (10 seconds),
Nagios hangs around for the ocsp_command to finish running for every
service check.

Since the oscp_command is dependent on TCP handshakes to complete, the
time it takes to finish is noticably variable, and thus Nagios continually
gets later and later.

My query is, do I shift my distributed monitoring to be more batched, and
run my distributed monitoring stuff off the periodic execution of
service_perfdata_file_processing_command, or do I change Nagios to run the
oscp_command in a double fork like run_service_check() ?

--==--
Bruce.