Nagios-devel digest, Vol 1 #1058 - 2 msgs

Vegard Hanssen Vegard.Hanssen at xait.no
Fri Apr 21 11:35:48 CEST 2006

There is a problem with defining check-host-alive to check_nrpe.

A normal problem in my setup:

One host get a too high load. This will time out the nrpe checks, giving
me 5-10 sms for the timeout, and then (2 minutes later) the same sms for
OK. The host isn't down, it's just in a very busy state, and I know this
since I don't get a host down message. If I change the check-host-alive
to nrpe I will then get a host down message, which can mean anything
from high load, host is unreachable or host is actually down. Host down
= I have to drop everything and get to work, High Load = let's give it a
minute to cool down first.

I could do the same as Øysten Bleie suggest, but I'm not sure that's
good either. Actually I'm not sure what's best to do, so I've for the
moment stuck with all the sms.

Vegard

--
Mvh / Kind regards

Vegard Hanssen
Xait A/S

vegard.hanssen at xait.no

For general enquiries please call Xait support at: +47 51 95 02 13

CONFIDENTIALITY. This e-mail and any attachments are confidential
and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient,
please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the
contents to another person, use it for any purpose, or store
or copy the information in any medium.