nsca looping issue

Joseph Hardeman jwhardeman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 13:48:45 CEST 2006

Hello Everyone,

Has anyone else been experiencing nsca failing?  It has been running for a
while with no problems, but is now starting to fail.  I have it running in
inetd with wait.600 so that it will be able to accept all the connections
from our hosts.  I had over 400 machines pushing to it at one time, but now
due to reloads on the machines I have maybe 250 left pushing to it.  I need
to push my scripts back out, but until I get this issue figured out, I have
to wait.

Here is the error I am receiving from inetd:

 nsca/tcp server failing (looping), service terminated

Running on Debian 2.6.15-8.  I have set debug to 1 in the nsca.cfg but all I
am getting is this error from inetd.

I have put the latest version out, 2.6 but when I put the allowed_hosts
option in so that I can run it in daemon mode, I get an error that
allowed_hosts is not a known option.  I looked at my configuration for
2.4and the allowed_hosts option is allowed there, but not in later
versions?
Does NSCA need this anymore?  Or if it is running in daemon mode will it
accept from any connection?

Thanks

Joseph