Warning: Could not get group entry for 'nagios' on FreeBSD

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed May 25 00:36:23 CEST 2005

Matt Bostock wrote:
> *** I tried sending this to nagios-users but didn't get a response, I
> figured maybe it's more suitable in the dev mailing list, hope that's ok.***
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run Nagios inside a FreeBSD jail, but am getting this in
> nagios.log:
>
> [1116603291] Nagios 2.0b3 starting... (PID=88484)
> [1116603291] LOG VERSION: 2.0
> [1116603336] Warning: Could not get group entry for 'nagios'
> [1116603336] Warning: Could not set effective GID=-1
> [1116603336] Failed to drop privileges.  Aborting.
>
> After that, Nagios exits. The nagios user and group are definetly set
> up. Any suggestions would be very gratefully appreciated.

Nagios has similar requirements to apache (or any daemon dropping
privileges) inside a chroot jail. You'll need /etc/group and /etc/passwd
inside the jail, in the default locations, as well as a number of other
files (/etc/nsswitch.conf and friends). Even so, I'm not sure it will
work as the plugins will inherit the jail from Nagios. The plugins
requires /etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/services and a whole host of
other things (like perl, shared libraries etc. etc.).

It's most likely more of a headache than it's worth, and considering
Nagios isn't a networking daemon per se, you'd probably be better off
just putting the webserver in jail anyways, since it's the CGI's (if
anything) that's susceptible to attack.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer