Warning: Could not get group entry for 'nagios' on FreeBSD

Matt Bostock matt at mattbostock.com
Wed May 25 00:25:33 CEST 2005

*** I tried sending this to nagios-users but didn't get a response, I
figured maybe it's more suitable in the dev mailing list, hope that's ok.***

Hi,

I'm trying to run Nagios inside a FreeBSD jail, but am getting this in
nagios.log:

[1116603291] Nagios 2.0b3 starting... (PID=88484)
[1116603291] LOG VERSION: 2.0
[1116603336] Warning: Could not get group entry for 'nagios'
[1116603336] Warning: Could not set effective GID=-1
[1116603336] Failed to drop privileges.  Aborting.

After that, Nagios exits. The nagios user and group are definetly set
up. Any suggestions would be very gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks,
Matt :)