linking issues

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon May 23 09:16:00 CEST 2005

sean finney wrote:
> hey andreas,
>
> On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 08:25:44PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>>libnsl is another library out of place. Perhaps it's needed by Sun and
>>friends. On Linux (Fedora 3, Openwall current, Debian sarge) Nagios
>>builds nicely without them, although I know Sun (and some others) have
>>huge problems understanding any C-code at all without it. Perhaps -lnsl
>>should be linked explicitly on those and dropped for other platforms?
>

> i believe there's an autoconf macro that can determine whether or not
> the libraries are necessary.

Nah. autoconf only determines if libraries are necessary for certain
functions. For nagios, -lnsl isn't required on Linux. To the best of my
knowledge it isn't required on *BSD either, but I'm not certain. What I
was curious about was on which platforms it is actually required, or if
it could be dropped entirely (as I believe).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer