multiple host parents

Daniel Wüthrich d.wuethrich.h at gmx.net
Thu Mar 17 11:34:07 CET 2005

Hi

I had some discussions about host parents. If using more than one parent
nagios assumes that the parents are redundant paths. But in our VLAN
environment I need the possibility to define multiple parents where ALL
parents are needed. E.g. a Host depends on a router AND a switch (this is
possible, not the host depends on the switch and the switch depend on the
router!).

It doesn't seem that there's a possibility to implement this, especially
in a big network. Therefore I modified nagios source:
I added a new variable in the host definition where I can say whether the
host depends on at least one parent (as it already is) or whether it
depends on all parents at the same time.

In our network it does work and now I would like to contibute this to the
official source.

Daniel