Creating new plugin -- questions...

Thomas.Zimmer at oppenheim.de Thomas.Zimmer at oppenheim.de
Thu Mar 10 19:43:34 CET 2005

hi,
Excuse me, what do you understand about "realtime"?

If your daemon examines the logfile in "realtime", the fasted way to
transport the results to nagios would be using the NSCA-Sys.; the
nsca-script transfers the results to the NSCA-Daemon running on your
Nagiosserver, and the nsca-daemon pushes the results into the
nagios.cmd-file (as far as i understood).

The NRPE-Daemon is called passivly by the Nagiosserver to execute some
plugin, so your time-intervals to get results are normally far away from
"realtime".

greetz, thomas.

Hello all,

this is my first time posting to this list.  I'm trying to create a custom
plugin that monitors an applications log file in real time.

I'm unclear as to whether or not I can do this explicitly with a plugin (the
real time aspect).

I'm running a Nagios 2.x management console that's getting data from a
production Linux system running nrpe.  The real time monitoring needs to run
on the production box.

I'm trying to create the plugin (using Perl as my language) thus;

1.  Create a daemon that actually monitors the log file.
2.  On a specific event, the daemon will write status information to a data
file.
3.  The plugin will read the data file at a specified interval and send it
back through the nrpe daemon to the nagios console.

Is this the right way to go about it?  I don't quite see how to merge the
steps so that the plugin does all of the functionality in one program.
Since the code needs to run in real time, for example, I can't output any of
the Nagios error codes since the daemon never quits unless the entire system
goes down.

Thanks for your help.

Braun Brelin
OpenApp