Overuse of active monitoring

Lee Fitz leefitzg at aol.com
Mon Jun 13 16:27:12 CEST 2005

one person told me that Im overusing active monitoring.

In my design, Im using mostly active monitoring' via Nagios.

I am using passive monitoring (and a little active) for 27 machines but am planning on using active monitoring
for 30-50 more because of security restrictions.

The location of the Nagios Monitoring Host is inside a secure area, consequently the only way I can get at the
30-50 additional machines outside the secure area is via active monitoring since I can send out of the secure
area but no passive monitoring can come in.

I did NOT see anything in the documentation or user group traffic that implied that I could NOT (or should
not) use more active monitoring than passive monitoring.  The documentation seems to indicate that I could use
all active monitoring if I decided to.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Lee