nagios in debian: 2.x, and plans for support of 1.x?

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Thu Jun 9 16:43:16 CEST 2005

hey there,

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 09:34:42PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> I see no reason why not, so long as patches fixes bugs only and clearly
> doesn't introduce any new ones. I can't speak for Ethan though, so...

this is what i was hoping... from personal experience, life is much
more difficult when this is not the case, as otherwise i'd have to
insist that there'd only be one version of nagios, or hold up any
security related update to nagios2 until i could backport them myself
to 1.x (went through a very similar problem with mysql a couple months
back)

> Yes. Better, actually. 1.x didn't make full use of the power of the
> various database systems and also forced the GUI to re-calculate totals
> over and over again. I intend to correct that when I have leisure ("any
> day now", for sure) ;)

cool.  i haven't actually looked to closely at the NEB architecture
yet (waiting for those docs like everyone else, heh), so i'll take
your word for it.  what about non-event related info, like extended host info?

> >- per-version packages, no upgrade path.  nagios 1.x will continue to
> >  exist in parallel to the 2.x series of packages, and no attempt is
> >  made to upgrade users from 1.x to 2.x
>
> Probably desirable. Make it nagios1 and nagios2, so as to not install
> nagios 1.x by default (nagios-users@ doesn't support nagios 1.x very
> much any longer).
>
> >- per-version packages, upgrade path.  similar to above, but a set
> >  of scripts exist to either automatically or manually help upgrade from
> >  1.x to 2.x.
>
> I've got some scripts that help with this. See http://oss.op5.se/nagios
> for details (requires command-line php, so maybe not all too useful).

as of right now, this is probably the direction that i'm leaning.
there's nothing that would prevent me from putting in an upgrade
path later, and/or combining them all into one package.

as for the upgrade scripts, i probably won't use them as they are (i'd
be hesitant to make nagios depend on a cmdline php when it currently
doesn't), but they should make good reference at the least.  thanks.

	sean