nagios in debian: 2.x, and plans for support of 1.x?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jun 7 21:34:42 CEST 2005

Since I've got some of the answers, I'll drop what I know here. I'll
also take a stab at guessing what I don't know. ;)

sean finney wrote:
> hey folks,
>
> now that debian sarge has been released(!), i'm going to start making
> some headway towards packaging 2.x pre-release packages in debian's
> experimental archive.  however, off the top of my head two issues remain
> unresolved that i'll need some input on:
>
> - after 2.x is released, will 1.x still be supported at least in bugfix
>   and security related patches?  any idea for how long?

I see no reason why not, so long as patches fixes bugs only and clearly
doesn't introduce any new ones. I can't speak for Ethan though, so...

> - using the NEB api, is it possible (using possibly not-yet-existing
>   code) to get the anything close to the level of support for the 1.x
>   db status databases?

Yes. Better, actually. 1.x didn't make full use of the power of the
various database systems and also forced the GUI to re-calculate totals
over and over again. I intend to correct that when I have leisure ("any
day now", for sure) ;)

> the answers to both of these questions will impact significantly the
> way in which nagios exists in debian.  there are a couple of options
> that i'm considering:
>
> - per-version packages, no upgrade path.  nagios 1.x will continue to
>   exist in parallel to the 2.x series of packages, and no attempt is
>   made to upgrade users from 1.x to 2.x

Probably desirable. Make it nagios1 and nagios2, so as to not install
nagios 1.x by default (nagios-users@ doesn't support nagios 1.x very
much any longer).

> - per-version packages, upgrade path.  similar to above, but a set
>   of scripts exist to either automatically or manually help upgrade from
>   1.x to 2.x.

I've got some scripts that help with this. See http://oss.op5.se/nagios
for details (requires command-line php, so maybe not all too useful).

> - one package, upgrade path.  only one major release of nagios exists[1],
>   and the helper scripts do whatever is necessary to make an upgrade
>   path.
>
> for the "upgrade path", that would include either some level of support
> for the db flavored 1.x series, or at the least the ability to dump the
> data out of the database into standard configuration/data files.  the
> latter i could probably handle on my own (and i'd post whatever i hacked
> together), but i don't know if i have the time to commit to the former,
> at least by myself.

Doesn't Debian have some sort of "help wanted"-list? If not, just pick
what you've got time with. People can always choose not to upgrade if
they don't want to.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer