Nag 2.0b1 (tar ball not CVS) + embedded Perl + FreeBSD 4.10 == seems fine

Thu Jan 13 06:06:31 CET 2005

Dear Folks,

Our small/medium/intensive Perl Nag 1.2 site was recently redone
(roughly) with the 2.0 beta 1 tar ball.

There appear to be no show stoppers.

Performance appears to be at least comparable to a 1.2 embedded Perl Nag
with the glib hash patch for hosts and services (unofficial/unsupported
patch done by someone else).

Downed host detection and responsiveness to the command pipe is
definitely brisker/faster.

Memory consumption seems a little heavier.

Cycle consumption is about the same.

Perl is threaded Perl 5.8.5 (from the FreeBSD port).

tsitc> lynx -dump -auth=foo:bar
'http://tsitc/nagios/cgi-bin/extinfo.cgi?&type=4'

   Performance Information
   Last Updated: Thu Jan 13 16:04:30 EST 2005
   Updated every 90 seconds
   Nagios® - [1]www.nagios.org
   Logged in as foo

   Program-Wide Performance Information

   Active Service Checks:
         Time Frame       Checks Completed
   <= 1 minute:           82 (20.3%)
   <= 5 minutes:          298 (73.8%)
   <= 15 minutes:         330 (81.7%)
   <= 1 hour:             333 (82.4%)
   Since program start:   333 (82.4%)
           Metric            Min.     Max.     Average
   Check Execution Time:   0.00 sec 70.81 sec 4.949 sec
   Check Latency:          0.00 sec 3.25 sec  0.136 sec
   Percent State Change:   0.00%    15.86%    0.19%
   Passive Service Checks:
         Time Frame       Checks Completed
   <= 1 minute:           0 (0.0%)
   <= 5 minutes:          0 (0.0%)
   <= 15 minutes:         0 (0.0%)
   <= 1 hour:             1 (100.0%)
   Since program start:   1 (100.0%)
           Metric           Min.   Max.  Average
   Percent State Change:   11.97% 11.97% 11.97%
   Active Host Checks:
         Time Frame       Checks Completed
   <= 1 minute:           1 (0.6%)
   <= 5 minutes:          1 (0.6%)
   <= 15 minutes:         2 (1.1%)
   <= 1 hour:             59 (33.7%)
   Since program start:   29 (16.6%)
           Metric            Min.     Max.    Average
   Check Execution Time:   0.02 sec 0.70 sec 0.052 sec
   Check Latency:          0.00 sec 0.00 sec 0.000 sec
   Percent State Change:   0.00%    0.00%    0.00%
   Passive Host Checks:
         Time Frame       Checks Completed
   <= 1 minute:           0 (0.0%)
   <= 5 minutes:          0 (0.0%)
   <= 15 minutes:         0 (0.0%)
   <= 1 hour:             0 (0.0%)
   Since program start:   0 (0.0%)
           Metric          Min.  Max.  Average
   Percent State Change:   0.00% 0.00% 0.00%

On the subject of the embedded Perl however, I would like consider
moving it out of the Nagios core and into a standalone Perl daemon
listening on a Unix domain socket, via what I think is provided by the
event broker.

This would suit me because

1 the Perl execution environment cannot affect Nagios (eg plugins that
use modules linked against old Perls causing SEGVs).

As a consequence, leaks in embedded Perl would not affect Nagios (and
the Perl daemon could be managed independently of Nag).

2 the Perl daemon could be used to process the small-scale standalone
applications (such as SNMP pollers, Ntop data collectors etc) that are
used intensively or periodically here.

At this stage, I will try and create the Perl daemon and see how useful
it is in its own right.

Integration with the event broker is a TODO if folks think it the way
to go (and since I know nothing about the broker maybe much later).

Yours sincerely.

--
Stanley Hopcroft

IP Australia