another question

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Jan 4 15:52:22 CET 2005

My remembrance of the setup documentation is that you add your web
server user to the nagioscmd group, not run the web server with the gid
of nagioscmd. They're very different and firmly based on standard unix
permission methodology. Actually quoting from the doccos --

"Next we're going to create a new group whose members include the user
the web server is running as and the user Nagios is running as. Let's
say we call this new group 'nagiocmd' (you can name it differently if
you wish). On RedHat Linux you can use the following command to add a
new group (other systems may differ):

/usr/sbin/groupadd nagiocmd

Next, add the web server user (nobody or apache, etc) and the Nagios
user (nagios) to the newly created group with the following commands:

/usr/sbin/usermod -G nagiocmd nagios
/usr/sbin/usermod -G nagiocmd nobody"

 -- http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/commandfile.html --

There is nothing that says run the web server as gid nagioscmd.

--
Marc