license status of contributed icons?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Feb 19 10:44:16 CET 2005

sean finney wrote:
> hi andreas,
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 08:10:14PM -0800, nagios-devel-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>
>>>the spec file equivalent would be a ./debian subdirectory, and possibly
>>>patches to the source (though our custom with the current nagios
>>>packages is to have the diffs embedded in ./debian).
>>
>>Oh. I thought it was something along the lines of a rpm .spec file. Do
>>you mean dpkg doesn't have specifications at all?
>

> what i was getting at is that debian doesn't use a single monolithic
> file like the rpm "spec file" format.  there's an entire subdirectory that
> includes something kind of like a spec file (debian/rules) as well as many
> helper files, patches, copyright info, and other debian-specific stuff.

This is exactly how RPM spec-files work as well. Try rpm -qpl
some.src.rpm and you'll see what I mean.

> with the way we've packaged nagios, everything you need to build a deb
> is in this directory, though some other packages rely on an external
> diff.  so, you could check out a copy of the ./debian from our alioth
> cvs repository, but like i said, i think it's inviting unnecessary
> duplication of effort.

Nah. The rules file should be sufficient. It should be a great help when
debian users start asking for the location of their configuration files
on the list.

>>nagios-statd is obsolete and shouldn't really be distributed by a
>>dependency-handling package managing system.
>

> fair enough.  i'm not familiar with the package, but it came up with
> the rest of the results from "apt-cache search nagios" :)

Oh. Haven't tried that one, but it seems nice. I'll have to write
something similar for RPM, methinks.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer