license status of contributed icons?

sean finney seanius at debian.org
Sat Feb 19 09:31:06 CET 2005

hi andreas,

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 08:10:14PM -0800, nagios-devel-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > the spec file equivalent would be a ./debian subdirectory, and possibly
> > patches to the source (though our custom with the current nagios
> > packages is to have the diffs embedded in ./debian).
>
> Oh. I thought it was something along the lines of a rpm .spec file. Do
> you mean dpkg doesn't have specifications at all?

what i was getting at is that debian doesn't use a single monolithic
file like the rpm "spec file" format.  there's an entire subdirectory that
includes something kind of like a spec file (debian/rules) as well as many
helper files, patches, copyright info, and other debian-specific stuff.

with the way we've packaged nagios, everything you need to build a deb
is in this directory, though some other packages rely on an external
diff.  so, you could check out a copy of the ./debian from our alioth
cvs repository, but like i said, i think it's inviting unnecessary
duplication of effort.

> nagios-statd is obsolete and shouldn't really be distributed by a
> dependency-handling package managing system.

fair enough.  i'm not familiar with the package, but it came up with
the rest of the results from "apt-cache search nagios" :)

	sean