license status of contributed icons?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Feb 17 23:24:09 CET 2005

Cook, Garry wrote:
> nagios-devel-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
>
>>hi all,
>>
>>i think i may have posted a question about this long in the past,
>>but in any case, i'll ask again...
>>
>>what's the license terms of the contributed nagios icons?  i would
>>like to assume that they are under the same terms as nagios itself,
>>but i have learned that assuming things about software licenses and
>>copyrights can sometimes get you in trouble :)
>>

>>	sean
>

> Mine should be considered GPL (Cook logos). I think that I submitted
> them with a README stating this, but that was a while ago, hard to
> remember. Perhaps it's time for an update.

The licensing depends on where you are. Most countries have amendments
to their copyright laws preventing person a to profit from person b's
work of art without paying royalties, meaning you can't sell the logos
explicitly or include it in a product in such a way that it
significantly raises the market value of that same product.

This assumes there's money involved ofcourse, so I don't think the
Debian project is in any real danger.

Btw, when you're done with the .deb, would you mind uploading the
.spec-file equivalence to be included in the distro dir of Nagios?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer