Changes to status CGI

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Feb 12 11:09:42 CET 2005

Brett Stevens wrote:
> Firstly, thanks guys for a great system. Ive been using this for a while now
> and are on 2.x and are monitoring around 100 or so devices on our WAN. We
> also use cacti as an snmp poller. Ive integrated a perl script to read
> values in the cacti rrd's and use extended service info to link to the cacti
> displayed graphs. The problem as I see it, and I must say sorry if this is
> not the right list, but I would like to see the icon in the service details
> page link directly to the url (perferably in the same frame) in the extended
> service cfg rather than going to the extinfo.cgi (this would be simmilar to
> how the guys at APAN suggest for 1.2). As I see it if the url in the service
> collumn goes to extinfo.cgi and the icon in the collunm goes to the url this
> would be better. My problem is Im a fair shell programmer but Im not at all
> conversent with C. Ive had a look into the code and cant quite make it out.
> Can anyone assist?
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong list Ill be happy to post it over at nagios users
> if needed.

This is indeed the proper list. Extended serviceinfo is a fairly new
feature so it hasn't been fully included in the CGI's yet. The idea is
that services with extended info should have the same kind of icons as
the hosts have (action_url, notes_url) in the status listings. The
problem with this is that even with the hashing code service lookups
eats a fair amount of CPU and takes quite a while. I'm looking at
implementing a different CGI system. Preferrably through a NEB-module
which populates a database in 3nf so that everything is nicely indexed,
and a GUI written in PHP so that it is a bit easier to extend. Although
I'm sorry to say this isn't a high priority.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer