Self-registering services

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Feb 8 21:01:19 CET 2005

Jason Martin wrote:
> One of the problems I've seen with the distributed monitoring
> model is that the configuration of the central server and
> distributed servers must be kept strictly in sync.  Might I
> suggest that some sort of interface be provided such that
> distributed servers can add services to the central server
> without having to restart it? I'd imagine some sort of scenario
> where on startup a distributed server sends its service and host
> configuration through in some sort of external command. If the
> central server restarts then a mechanism could be set up so that
> it can notify the distributed servers to resend their
> configuration.
>
> The data structures would have to be modified such that objects
> sent from different distributed servers would not collide. This
> feature sounds like a major overhaul, but it would greatly
> enhance the flexibility of the distributed monitoring facility.

I'm working on it (implemented as a module). The overhaul is still
necessary though, since I need a couple of new nagios functions or a few
global variables available from the module. A list of all configuration
files, for instance.

As I said, I'm working on it. Let's just hope Ethan finds use for them
in the code.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer