Possible discrepancy in Documentation and Functionality of Nagios v2.0b6

Zac spdrmonkey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 17:23:00 CET 2005

Hello,
   I have been running nagios 1.x for a long time now and am very excited to
start using v2.  I have setup a development system and am re-organizing my
config with some of the new features.  I have run into an issue that,
according to the way I am interpreting the documentation should work.

What I am trying to do, is remove the hostgroup definitions in favor of
putting the hostgroup line in the host definition template.  I am hoping to
remove the long lists of hosts on the members line.  In the documentation it
states that it can be "used as an alternative to (or in addition to) the *
hostgroups* directive in host
definitions<http://nagios5/docs/xodtemplate.html#host>."
but this doesn't seem to be the case.  If I do not make a hostgroup
definition, and only use the hostgroup line in the host definition, I get
the error that the hostgroup doesn't exist.  If I create the hostgroup and
put 1 host in the members line, everything works, but it breaks my
templates, or puts a duplicate host or service in the group and makes my
config files more confusing.  If I create a hostgroup with no members line,
it errors out as well.

My question is, is it planned that I can use the hostgroup directive in the
host definition as a complete alternative to the hostgroup definition?  I
understand we need to define the alias for the host group, and I would be
fine with creating the hostgroup definition and only populating the name and
alias, but I really want to avoid duplication or messy members lines.  Sorry
if this is to the wrong group, but I didn't get an answer other than using
config generators from the nagios-users list, which I am not ready to do
yet.  Thank you for your response.

-Zac Israel