Improving the host <parents> logic

Shane Stixrud shane at geeklords.org
Thu Dec 15 01:15:17 CET 2005

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

>> The main problem with the existing solution is modern switched networks
>> often have A LOT of managed nodes connected to one or more layer2 switches
>> in the same layer3 network.  Ideally nagios would allow admins to suppress
>> notification for both devices behind both layer2 devices and layer3
>> interfaces.
>

> I sense some cheap-shot parent auto-detection junk using traceroute lurking
> here.

Not at all.

> Layer 2 devices can be parents just as well as layer 3 devices, with any
> level of redundancy anywhere you want.

Sure you can define layer 2 devices as parents of a child device, but so
what??  If you are using the parent definition for layer 2 it cannot
also be used for layer 3 parents (for that same device) without unexpected
behavior as far as I can tell.

>> The existing parent logic should be able to remain pretty much as is,
>> merely renaming the directive to "l3parents" to distinguish this should
>> only be used for layer 3 parents.
>>

> But it shouldn't. Each electron that makes up a part of a packet has to
> traverse a chain of physical nodes to reach its destination. Each of those
> nodes is a parent to whatever node they send the electrons on to next.

Sure, there is a physical chain, however nagios does not monitor each
electron as it transfers over that chain, rather it contacts the IP
addresses of each device along that chain to determine which link in
that chain may be broken.

>> Duplicating the existing parents logic and assigning it a new name called
>> l2parents.  Nagios would then need to be modified to first check
>> l2parents before proceeding to the l3parents when a device goes into a
>> NON-OK state.  If all l2 parents or l3 parents are down nagios would follow
>> the l2 or l3 inherited parents just as it does today.
>>

> Gaining what? Here's how we set up it. Mindscale to any level and depth you
> like. I've never seen nagios do anything but The Right Thing with config like
> this.

[snip]

Sure this works fine when the switch is isolated to one layer 3 network
(i.e. no vlans).  Care to share the magic tricks you use to tie vlan
assigned switch ports to the correct layer3 devices/interfaces??  As far
as I can tell if my switch hosts 20 vlans I can either set its parent to
one of those vlans or all of them.  If I do 1 then I have a 1 in 20
chance of suppressing notifications, if I do all fo them then every
vlan would have to fail for it to suppress notifications.  I am willing
to be wrong here, please show me the error in my thinking.

>> IMO this change would be the least intrusive, adds layer2 parent support
>> and allows for redundancy detection for both layer2 and layer3 devices with
>> little added complexity.
>>

> If you're going to add all layer 2 devices in their own parenting link you
> need to know when layer 3 devices pop in between them

Each host definition would/could have either or both defined.

>, which means either
> keeping the current scheme alongside it or go looking for the object that has
> our current node as an immediate downstream child. Either way is just plain
> dumb.

It is not a replacement it is an addition, right now the current scheme is
better suited to layer3 devices, using it for layer2 devices is a hack
that works under very restricted conditions as far as I can tell.

>> Side note: The 3d map should show the layer2 parents as being directly
>> connected to the child device.  The l3parents should only connected to
>> devices where their layer2 and layer3 parents are the same NAME/IP.  In
>> this way you would see a server connected to a switch that is in turn
>> connected to another switch which then connects to the layer3 device, which
>> so happens is how the physical connectivity IS setup in reality.
>>

> Use my example from above and this is exactly what you get.

If you use your switches as a smart hub sure, what about multivlan
switches?

> Usually when you post to a developer forum for the first time it's a good
> idea to browse the list archives for both the developer and the user forum.
> Had you done so, with just a few well-chosen searches, you would have spared
> yourself the indignity of letting this particular piece of digital pollution
> hit the internet.

I have browsed the list and I did note a number of other people comment
on this same topic.  If I am missing something obvious then of course you
have humble apology for wasting everyones time, but as far as
I can tell you are just missing the point.

Cheers,
Shane