FreeBSD thread issues

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Aug 19 09:03:41 CEST 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Christophe Yayon wrote:

> First,
>
> Thanks Andrea for your answer, but when we read the initial post from Charles
> Sprickman, it appears that the problem is in Nagios and not in FreeBSD
> threads implementation... However, in FreeBSD-threads mailling list, i've
> read similar issues reports from other applications (like Java for example),
> and i know who's right...

Oddly enough, the problem also seems to exist in 5.4, which features a
much improved thread library.  There were also a few posts that basically
said that Nagios was not following spec.  This one states it most simply:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-hackers&m=112125883804481&w=2

"I don't know what Nagios does just after fork(2), it would be worth to
check.  It appears that fork(2)ing without exec(2)ing or _exit(2)ing
in a pthreaded program is not a "valid" behaviour, regarding to
SUSv3 [1].  I don't want to avoid admitting there is a problem in
FreeBSD threading library, I don't know how other OSes handle this,
but Nagios folks should really avoid doing what is explicitely
dissuaded in SUSv3."

> Perhaps Ethan could help me, what does he thinks about this ?

I did contact him directly, and then posted a summary of the responses
from the -hackers list here, but have not heard anything back.  I do know
that there are some very friendly and helpful people on that list willing
to help, and probably a few Nagios users.  The Nagios port maintainer for
FreeBSD (blaz at si.FreeBSD.org) would also be a good contact.

> Switching to Linux is a difficult psychological step for me ;-)

That was just boastful baiting, it's safe to ignore and best left on
Slashdot with the "BSD is dying, Netcraft confirms" childishness, it's
best to ignore that sort of "advocacy". :)

Charles