FreeBSD thread issues

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Aug 19 01:21:05 CEST 2005

Christophe Yayon wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I am a freebsd / nagios user too, and i have the same issue since the
> beginning of Nagios 2.0b on FreeBSD 5... I have a simple shell script in
> cron as a workaround, but it's ugly...

The threads implementation on *BSD leaves a lot to be desired,
unfortunately. This is not a Nagios issue.

> If i can do something to help Nagios community (i am not a good
> developper...) ...
> Is there again the same issue with the 2.0b4 ? i am using the 2.0b3, and
> i have not tested the last beta release ...
>
> Is there something planned to resolve this problem, Ethan ? Or should i
> switch to Linux ?

As the problem isn't in Nagios and noone seems to have an authoritative
answer on what exactly is causing it, I'd say you would be better off
switching to a GNU/Linux system, with at least Linux 2.4.29 and
glibc-2.3 (a lot work was put into thread-safeness on glibc-2.3).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer