small grammar patch

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Aug 12 16:53:49 CEST 2005

And from dictionary.com

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=whence

"Usage Note: The construction from whence has been criticized as
redundant since the 18th century. It is true that whence incorporates
the sense of from: a remote village, whence little news reached the
wider world. But from whence has been used steadily by reputable writers
since the 14th century, most notably in the King James Bible: "I will
lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help" (Psalms).
Such a respectable precedent makes it difficult to label the
construction as incorrect. Still, it may be observed that whence (like
thence) is most often used nowadays to impart an archaic or highly
formal tone to a passage, and that this effect is probably better
realized if the archaic syntax of the word without from is preserved as
well."

All this over a tiny little word ;)

--
Marc