small grammar patch

jeff vier boinger at tradingtechnologies.com
Fri Aug 12 15:59:38 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 02:13 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> > minor grammar edit in cgi.c.
> > "Whence" means "from where".
> > So, "Return from whence you came." is silly ('from from'?).
> >

> It's actually correct as it is. Whence is just "when" but used in the 3
> spatial dimensions rather than the linear one (time). All according to
> the little dictionary applet RedHat decided to install on my laptop
> along with the actually useful stuff.
>
>      O, how unlike the place from whence they fell?
>                                                    --Milton.
>           1913 Webster

I still maintain 'from' is redundant, although RedHat's definition
is...interesting ;)

This is the most succinct on the topic:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-fro2.htm

and Webster (since you used the quote from them) disagrees on the
definition you posted, as well:
http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=whence&x=0&y=0

Not saying it's not commonly pre-pended with "from", but that doesn't
make it any less questionable.