SEGMENTATION FAULT - Using very long terms for servicegroup names

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Thu Aug 11 02:52:12 CEST 2005

Hmmm...  has anyone else experienced this problem?  I tried getting
Nagios to segfault with a long servicegroup name, but as of yet have
not been successful.

Tobias, could you change any sensitive information (host addresses,
passwords, etc.) in your configs and send me a copy once you can
replicate a segfauly with the modified configs?  That would help me
in tracking down the problem.  Thanks!

On 10 Aug 2005 at 13:57, linux-system-technik at de.man-m wrote:

> Hallo list,
>
> we experienced a problem with a very long term we used as a name for a
> servicegroup. This name was something like sg_intranet_prod_webapp.
> The configuration check of nagios ended with a segmentation fault. As
> soon as we shorten this name down to sg_webapp the segfault
> disappeared and everything worked fine. Thats why I guess it has
> something to do with that long name.
>
> Is there a limitation to such names? We are also using really long
> names for hostgroups but didn't experienced such problems.
>
> NAGIOS VERSION    2.0b3
> OS VERSION        SLES9
>
> If you need more information about our environment or configuration, a
> trace or whatever, feel free to contact us. By the way, a short strace
> didn't show a clear hint to the reason for the segfault.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>
> Tobias Mucke
>
> MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG
> Informationssysteme und Organisation
> DV-Technologie und RZ-Betrieb
> Linux- System-Technik
> linux-system-technik at de.man-mn.com
>

> This message and any attachments are confidential and may be
> privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete
> this message and any attachment from your system. If you are not the
> intended recipient, you must not copy this message or attachment or
> disclose the contents to any other person.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer
---
Email: nagios at nagios.org