SEGMENTATION FAULT - Using very long terms for servicegroup names

linux-system-technik at de.man-mn.com linux-system-technik at de.man-mn.com
Wed Aug 10 13:57:08 CEST 2005

Hallo list,

we experienced a problem with a very long term we used as a name for a
servicegroup. This name was something like sg_intranet_prod_webapp. The
configuration check of nagios ended with a segmentation fault. As soon as
we shorten this name down to sg_webapp the segfault disappeared and
everything worked fine. Thats why I guess it has something to do with that
long name.

Is there a limitation to such names? We are also using really long names
for hostgroups but didn't experienced such problems.

NAGIOS VERSION    2.0b3
OS VERSION        SLES9

If you need more information about our environment or configuration, a
trace or whatever, feel free to contact us. By the way, a short strace
didn't show a clear hint to the reason for the segfault.

Thanks.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Tobias Mucke

MAN Nutzfahrzeuge AG
Informationssysteme und Organisation
DV-Technologie und RZ-Betrieb
Linux- System-Technik
linux-system-technik at de.man-mn.com

This message and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment
from your system. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy this message or attachment or disclose the
contents to any other person.