database support nagios 2.0

Al Tobey albert.tobey at priority-health.com
Wed Apr 13 17:56:46 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 11:47 -0400, Subhendu Ghosh wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Dietmar Ruzicka wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am currently writing my diploma thesis at the TU Vienna. A part of my work
> > is a mysql database interface for nagios. The plan is to develop a databse
> > interface which supports almost everything. This means every information,
> > which is currently found in the configuration files, the status files, .. is
> > written and read from the database. I do this from the scratch based on
> > nagios 2.0b2.
> >
> > The current status is very pre alpha. The configuration is almost finished,
> > excluding the nagios.cfg itself. The configuration tables are based on the
> > current text configuration, describe in the documentation, excluding the
> > template options. The current state of host and services hold in the memory
> > of the nagios-core is written to the database too and almost finished. This
> > shall replace the retention, status and objects.cache files and is necessary
> > for the webinterface. Comments and downtime information is hold in the
> > database too. The changes in the webinterface is just started. An optional
> > replacement for the nagios.cmd is also included.
> >
> > The database support should be option to the usual text-based way, which can
> > be activated or deaktivated during the configure step.
> >
> > I am currently using Nagios in a kind of mixed mode. Almost all parts of
> > Nagios-core are using the database, but for the most parts of the
> > webinterface the information is read from the text-files, except
> > configuration, comments, notifications and scheduling queue. Therefor I
> > write the informations to the database and to the text-files.
> >
> > What Do you think, is this a usable idea?
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Dietmar
> >

> It would be better if you could separate the code for the configuration
> data from the status data.  A better place to hook in for status data
> (including acknowledgement and downtime) is the new NEB module and its
> use as demonstrated by the nagios-db project.
>
> With the config data going into a database, it important to verify
> consistency of the data with respect to nagios's data structures.  yes
> Nagios does that on startup, but the UI to manage the data entry should
> also do verification.

Actually, a well-designed relational schema with foreign keys and all
that could/would do most of the verification for you.   If you use the
Relational part of your RDBMS to manage relational integrity for you,
you don't have to rewrite the verification code with every application
that touches the database.   In an ideal world (of course, this is
rarely the case), you would only have to check for errors on queries and
just throw data at the database for verification.

-Al Tobey

** ** **  PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL  ** ** **
This email transmission contains privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and
may be a violation of law.  If you are not the intended recipient or a
person responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient,
please delete the email and immediately notify the sender via the email
return address or mailto:postmaster at priority-health.com.  Thank you.