[Fwd: Hundreds of passive checks in a second]

Sean Dilda agrajag at dragaera.net
Mon Sep 6 22:33:34 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 16:03, Andy Mayhew wrote:
> Moving the named pipe off the file system and into ram (via a ramdisk) usually
> resolves processing issues with handling hundreds (or thousands) of incoming
> passive checks a second.

This doesn't make much sense to me.  As I understand it, although you
connect to a named pipe through the filesystem, the actual buffering for
the named pipe is all handled by the kernel in RAM.  As such, I'm not
sure how moving the named pipe to ram would increase the buffer size.
Have you tried this before?