2.0 CGI speed

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Sep 4 01:13:19 CEST 2004

Jason Martin wrote:
> I've been doing some performance tests of Nagios with the latest
> CVS code and am having some concerns about large-scale
> installations.  For example, with 20K passive services it takes
>
>>10 minutes on 700Mhz machine to get a status.cgi back. Is there
>
> anything that can be done to improve upon this? (aside from
> machine upgrades, I'm going to do that anyway).

Put logfiles and object cache on RAM-disk and copy to real disk when
powering off, or write an eventbroker for keeping recent status in a
database (backtracking the archives will take forever no matter how you
do it, due to the sheer amount of data involved).

Actually, I think the smoothest way to go about doing it would be to
split Nagios in two (I've said this before...) and have one part be the
logging end and capable of answering questions from the CGI's. With some
clever hashing (readily available in gdbm) this would be way faster than
any database, and the possibilities of extending Nagios's logging
features would be nearly endless.

Just out of curiosity; How on earth did you manage to find 20,000
services in need of checking in a single network?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer