patch: total macros

Matthew Kent mkent at magoazul.com
Tue Oct 19 18:32:04 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 06:07, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> The problem with Nagios devel rate is that its community is currently
> growing from small-ish to medium/large, with all the added user
> contribution activity it involves. It's also in alpha state, which means
> a lot of bugs of which quite a few are really easy to fix.
> Historically, Nagios hasn't followed the open-source idiom of 'update
> small and release often', but with alpha releases this becomes a real
> burden for the users, which eventually might grow tired and abandon the
> project for something commercial which is fixed a bit more often.

And this is the reason I'd love to see Nagios 2.0 move along to the
finish line. A fair number of problems and feature requests I see on
nagios-users have already been addressed in this branch, so users are
really missing out and may be leaving for alternative (and perhaps
closed source) products.

I did so offlist once already, but again I'm offering my time to help
this project in whatever capacity.

As for patches, I'm still collecting mine here
http://magoazul.com/proj/nagios/patches/

I do like the idea of having another developer added to the project to
review and apply small to medium changes, seems easier than setting up a
whole other repository. Ethan could still review the commits, revert
where necessary, and anyone doing checkouts would still get the benefit
of current code.

For the time being, I think I'll just keep plugging away at trying to
improve and fix things as I go while submitting patches back here.
--
Matthew Kent <mkent at magoazul.com>
http://magoazul.com