More developers [Was: event broker -> SQL questions]

Wayne Mery vseerror at Lehigh.EDU
Mon Oct 18 17:16:49 CEST 2004

On 10/17/2004 1:12 PM, Jason Martin wrote:

>On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 02:07:22PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>

>>I wouldn't know. If you have a look at
>>http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_id=7906 you can see
>>the CVS activity. It's about one checkin/month so it's not completely
>>stopped, but not very active either.
>>Karl De Bisschop hasn't committed anything for nagios or nagiosplug in a
>>very long time, so he might have abandoned both projects, but I don't know.
>>
>>Ethan; How about adding a couple of people to the developer list so we
>>can check in bugfixes and patches? It should speed up development
>>tremendously so Nagios 2 can be out of alpha state sometime this year.
>>

>I'd like to second that motion.  I've seen a lot of patches go
>by and the CVS activity hasn't been all that responsive.  If the
>patch queue doesn't clear up a bit there is an increasing chance
>someone will fork and go off in another direction in order to
>keep development moving and suit their own needs, which will
>just fragment the community and overall make a mess of things.

There is another risk which I think is more likely - which is overlaps
in patches, i.e. 'developer' D2 submits a patch P2 that overlaps P1, an
area  already submitted by D1 that has not hit CVS.  D2 (or someone)
will then later be force to retrofit their patch after P1 is checked
in.  You see this happen in mozilla where someone (perhaps a novice)
submits a patch on a bug that they don't follow up with so it doesn't
get verified and check in to the tree - 6 months or a year later they
jump up and down because the code base had moved on and the module owner
says the person needs to bring the patch up to date in order for it to
get checked in.

--
Thanks
Wayne