event broker -> SQL questions

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Oct 15 10:25:48 CEST 2004

Ben wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>

>>>It seems to me that a {HOST,SERVICE}_STATUS event would only be fired
>>>after the check had happened, so that would imply that this would always
>>>be true if it was what you think it is. But that wouldn't make for a
>>>useful datapoint, so I think we are both confused. :)
>>
>>I think Nagios just dumps all the data in the object struct to whatever
>>is listening in the receiving end and doesn't differ between if the data
>>passing takes place as the result of a timed event or as the result of
>>some sort of state change. I know modules can schedule data to be passed
>>at regular intervals as well as on events, so I guess that must be the
>>answer.
>

> Yes, but that still means that STATUS messages are still generated after a
> check, right?

Well, the message might be, but I think the internals are a bit
different. I think status events are just recorded in one and the same
host/service struct{}, and whenever something is to be passed to the
module, it dumps all of it instead of select parts. It's easier, I
suppose, and allows modules to do all that Nagios does, which is sort of
the general idea with modules.

>>>I don't understand.... but that's ok, I understand enough to know that I
>>>can ignore this for now. :) My SQL inserts are only to speed up the CGIs
>>>and reports.
>>>

>>I'm really interested in having a look at what you've done. Perhaps I
>>can improve it somehow and we could both benefit from it. Is it GPL'd or
>>do you have some proprietary copyright on it?
>

> Well, I have almost nothing yet except for a budding schema, a rough plan,
> and the go-ahead from my managers. :) Once I get something working I'll be
> more than happy to share the love. I would be estatic if I could get the
> code included in contrib/

If not, you can always open up your own project. It's really not that
difficult.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer