event broker -> SQL questions

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 14 17:41:46 CEST 2004

Ben wrote:
> Thanks for the stabs.... comments below.
>
> On Oct 14, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> I'll take a stab at the rest.

>> Hosts and services aren't necessarily being checked. If a host is
>> being determined as unserviceable (down or unreachable), the rest of
>> the services aren't being checked, and likewise with parent/child
>> relations (at least in the future).
>

> It seems to me that a {HOST,SERVICE}_STATUS event would only be fired
> after the check had happened, so that would imply that this would always
> be true if it was what you think it is. But that wouldn't make for a
> useful datapoint, so I think we are both confused. :)

I think Nagios just dumps all the data in the object struct to whatever
is listening in the receiving end and doesn't differ between if the data
passing takes place as the result of a timed event or as the result of
some sort of state change. I know modules can schedule data to be passed
at regular intervals as well as on events, so I guess that must be the
answer.

>> Umm... The current notification number? It can send several you know. ;)
>

> :) Yeah, but is a global number for nagios, or just for this particular
> host/service? Would checking this provide a mechanism to detect
> duplicate events? Even better, could I ignore all events with
> notification numbers lower than the last one?

Nagios doesn't keep global numbers of notifications, so it must be for
the object.

>> With 2.0 you can schedule downtime for hosts and its children in any
>> number of generations. I think this shows how many layers below that
>> are being scheduled because of this particular one.
>

> I don't understand.... but that's ok, I understand enough to know that I
> can ignore this for now. :) My SQL inserts are only to speed up the CGIs
> and reports.

I'm really interested in having a look at what you've done. Perhaps I
can improve it somehow and we could both benefit from it. Is it GPL'd or
do you have some proprietary copyright on it?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer