event broker -> SQL questions

Ben bench at silentmedia.com
Thu Oct 14 16:52:34 CEST 2004

Thanks for the stabs.... comments below.

On Oct 14, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> I'll take a stab at the rest.
>
> Titus Anderson wrote:
>>> What is the logic behind these values?
>>> has_been_checked
>
> Hosts and services aren't necessarily being checked. If a host is
> being determined as unserviceable (down or unreachable), the rest of
> the services aren't being checked, and likewise with parent/child
> relations (at least in the future).

It seems to me that a {HOST,SERVICE}_STATUS event would only be fired
after the check had happened, so that would imply that this would
always be true if it was what you think it is. But that wouldn't make
for a useful datapoint, so I think we are both confused. :)

>>> current_notification_number
>>>

> Umm... The current notification number? It can send several you know.
> ;)

:) Yeah, but is a global number for nagios, or just for this particular
host/service? Would checking this provide a mechanism to detect
duplicate events? Even better, could I ignore all events with
notification numbers lower than the last one?

>>> scheduled_downtime_depth
>
> With 2.0 you can schedule downtime for hosts and its children in any
> number of generations. I think this shows how many layers below that
> are being scheduled because of this particular one.

I don't understand.... but that's ok, I understand enough to know that
I can ignore this for now. :) My SQL inserts are only to speed up the
CGIs and reports.

> On a sidenote; I sure hope Ethan gets to writing developers
> documentation someday soon. It should really simplify the contrib
> development.

Yes indeed.