[Fwd: Memory leak in Nagios head]

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Nov 30 10:18:24 CET 2004

Matthew Kent wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:34, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>>Matthew Kent wrote:
>>
>>>Forwarding this on in case anyone else has seen this behaviour and has
>>>some suggestions. I'll give it a run through valgrind and see if I can
>>>spot anything this evening.
>>>

>>Thanks, Matt.
>>
>>A small update;
>>
>>After having run the daemon about 10 hours at a test system, memory
>>consumption has escalated from roughly 1MB to around 24MB. Not very nice
>>figures. It seems that sending a HUP makes memory consumption make a
>>small jump (usually around 20K).
>

> Well I may have trapped the HUP problem after some passes through
> valgrind. Seems reset_variables was getting called twice, right after
> receiving a sighup and immediately after at the start of the main do()
> loop in nagios.c

I'll get to testing right away.

> I've removed the call to it from cleanup() as it's only called when
> erroring out anyway, and resetting the variables at this point is a bit
> of a lost cause ;)
>
> I also fixed a couple other minor items reported by valgrind. Although I
> couldn't figure out this last one
>
> 64 bytes in 8 blocks are definitely lost in loss record 66 of 118
>    at 0x1B904EDD: malloc (vg_replace_malloc.c:131)
>    by 0x808F4D4: xodtemplate_add_host_to_hostlist (xodtemplate.c:10665)
>    by 0x808F456: xodtemplate_add_hostgroup_members_to_hostlist
> (xodtemplate.c:10640)
>    by 0x808EF0E: xodtemplate_expand_hostgroups (xodtemplate.c:10434)

This shouldn't be the longstanding problem though, since NSCORE doesn't
use xodtemplate_expand_hostgroups() on a regular basis. I'm leaning
towards a very small and subtle in-struct leak in base/checks.c or
common/statusdata.c (and their underlying functions, naturally).
Particularly since the problem seems to present itself more rapidly when
hosts and services changes status a lot (or possibly just change their
plugin output).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer