[Fwd: Memory leak in Nagios head]

Matthew Kent mkent at magoazul.com
Tue Nov 30 04:22:28 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 15:34, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Matthew Kent wrote:
> > Forwarding this on in case anyone else has seen this behaviour and has
> > some suggestions. I'll give it a run through valgrind and see if I can
> > spot anything this evening.
> >

> Thanks, Matt.
>
> A small update;
>
> After having run the daemon about 10 hours at a test system, memory
> consumption has escalated from roughly 1MB to around 24MB. Not very nice
> figures. It seems that sending a HUP makes memory consumption make a
> small jump (usually around 20K).

Well I may have trapped the HUP problem after some passes through
valgrind. Seems reset_variables was getting called twice, right after
receiving a sighup and immediately after at the start of the main do()
loop in nagios.c

I've removed the call to it from cleanup() as it's only called when
erroring out anyway, and resetting the variables at this point is a bit
of a lost cause ;)

I also fixed a couple other minor items reported by valgrind. Although I
couldn't figure out this last one

64 bytes in 8 blocks are definitely lost in loss record 66 of 118
   at 0x1B904EDD: malloc (vg_replace_malloc.c:131)
   by 0x808F4D4: xodtemplate_add_host_to_hostlist (xodtemplate.c:10665)
   by 0x808F456: xodtemplate_add_hostgroup_members_to_hostlist
(xodtemplate.c:10640)
   by 0x808EF0E: xodtemplate_expand_hostgroups (xodtemplate.c:10434)

Patch against cvs head.
--
Matthew Kent <mkent at magoazul.com>
http://magoazul.com