service notification contacts

Russell Jackson raj at cserv62.csub.edu
Tue Nov 16 19:53:03 CET 2004

I've been running a Nagios installation monitoring 150 or so services
on the CSUB campus network. Currently, in either 1.2 or HEAD,
a contact-group has to be defined for each service. Due to our mode of
operation, almost every service has a different list of contacts and
therefore requires that every service have a different contact-group
defined for it. Obviously, this hinders maintainablity; I have to edit
the configuration in three different places for additions and vice
versa. Attempting to get all staff to aggree to getting notifications
they don't care about is not going to happen.

Unless I'm just not seeing a way around this, I suggest that
contact-groups be optional and allow a contact list be defined directly
within host and service definitions. This would aid greatly in the
maintainablity of the configuration files in this situation.

I have not actually dived into the code to do this yet, but I wanted to
get other's opinions on the matter before proceeding.

Thank You,
--
Russell A. Jackson
Rush Limbaugh's 35 Undeniable Truths of Life:

(15) The Peace Movement in the United States was, whether by accident or
     design, pro-communist.

	-- "The Limbaugh Letter," Copyright 1992, EFM Publishing, Inc.