[Nagios-users] Version 2.0 timeframe?

Bjørnar Bjørgum Larsen bjornar.bjorgum.larsen at ementor.no
Mon May 24 11:36:19 CEST 2004

> I am still trying to figure out what to do about passive host checks,
> as there are a number of scenarios where they will not function as
> people would expect.  This mainly affects distributed monitoring,
> where the host topology on master and slave servers does not look the
> same.  For this reason, passive host checks would probably have to be
> tweaked so that DOWN states get translated into UNREACHABLE states
> (and vice versa) where appropriate.  I'm still not sure how or if I
> should implement that internally in Nagios.

When you implement this translation, it might be a good idea if
it could be turned off, eg. "use_distributed_translation=0" in
nagios.cfg. This is to be able to use an all-passive nagios top node
(i.e central nagios host) as a dummy that reflects the nagios
leaf nodes' (i.e distributed nagios hosts') world view.

:) Bjørnar