Deletion of the performance data log files.

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Thu May 20 09:59:58 CEST 2004

Ethan Galstad wrote:
> Two other options exist:
>
> 1.  Point the perf data logs to a named pipe, which is then read (and
> flushed) by an external daemon that processes the data
>
> 2.  Modify Nagios so that at predefined intervals:
> 	a. The perf data log is closed
> 	b. A user-defined command is run (to rotate the log, process perf
> data, etc.)
> 	c. The perf data is re-opened
>

> The first option is the cleanest, but it requires another daemon.
> The second option is probably a bit more flexible.  What are people's
> thoughts on this?  Should I add option #2 into Nagios 2.0?

 From the perspective of the parsing program I maintain (PerfParse),
either or both options could be used.

But I would prefer the second my self.  This would give flexibility as
some users could parse this nightly, some every minute.  Depending on
the ability of the machine, and reasons for the parse.  It would also
require less dependencies.  Eg, the daemon in method #1 might crash
effecting Nagios.

If the second is used, can I suggest that whatever command is specified,
it includes parameters giving the path of the log file.  Eg:

"perfparse %service-perf-file-name% %host-perf-file-name%"

Just some ideas. :)

Regards, Ben.