A idea to speed up access times to service records

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Mar 31 15:07:43 CEST 2004

Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:45:52 +0200
> Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:
>

>>>oh.. a humble request..
>>>can someone please run indent on the code in CVS and check that in.
>>>

>>I agree completely. However, since Ethan is the main developer, his
>>coding standards are law in this project.
>>I suggest you get a nice .indent.pro (mine is attached) and run it
>>recursively on the nagios code as such;
>>cd nagios
>>for i in `find -type d` ; do indent $i/*.c $i/*.h ; done
>
  > Ethan's style is different than the style used in the plugins, in some
> measure because I'm not a great fan of his style either. But his style
> is consistent. If you look at what he does, you can reproduce it. So I'd
> suggest trying to live with it.
>
> At a bare minimum, if you do reformat, take the time that many don't and
> convert any patches back to his format so they cna be cleanly merged and
> reviewed.

That's what I do now. I'm currently using one tree to read the code and
one tree to make the changes. It's however not a very thing to do to
code in a style the indent(1)-program can't reproduce, since it pretty
much rams one indentation style down the throat of every other developer
that wants to contribute (which ultimately results in fewer developers).

The best way to do it would be to use one of The Four Majors; GNU,
Linux, BSD or K&R (although K&R isn't all that widespread anymore).
They're all common, easy to read, and doesn't require compiler tolerance
for old style ambiguity.

Each developer can ofcourse develop in his own style, and then run the
indent program on the result before checking in or submitting patches.
(I actually think CVS can run the indent program for you at commit-time,
if you ask it nicely. ;-) )

Ethan; Thoughts on this?

--
Mvh / Best Regards