A idea to speed up access times to service records

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Mar 31 14:34:56 CEST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:45:52 +0200
Andreas Ericsson <ae at op5.se> wrote:

> > oh.. a humble request..
> > can someone please run indent on the code in CVS and check that in.
> >
> I agree completely. However, since Ethan is the main developer, his
> coding standards are law in this project.
> I suggest you get a nice .indent.pro (mine is attached) and run it
> recursively on the nagios code as such;
> cd nagios
> for i in `find -type d` ; do indent $i/*.c $i/*.h ; done

If you do that, your patches will be much more difficult to process. No
developer likes to waste time reviewing a 200-line patch to find that
actually only 2 lines have changed. (I konw that the patch can be
genereated to compensate, but it often is not done leading to wasted
time or to rejected patches)

Ethan's style is different than the style used in the plugins, in some
measure because I'm not a great fan of his style either. But his style
is consistent. If you look at what he does, you can reproduce it. So I'd
suggest trying to live with it.

At a bare minimum, if you do reformat, take the time that many don't and
convert any patches back to his format so they cna be cleanly merged and
reviewed.

--
Karl