Warnings when compiling glib chained-hash patched nagios

Fri Mar 26 10:01:50 CET 2004

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to thank all that contributed to this _very_ useful
thread, Mr Daniel Drown for his chained patch, and to those who adapted
the patch for nagios 1.2.

Thank you very much.

The patch quoted by Mr Leaman and Michael at OptusNet.Com.AU

. applied cleanly to a 1.2 Nag with local ePN patches

  I found I needed to set --fuzz=3 and --ignore-white-space to get
  all the hunks to succeed.

. generates lots of unhealthy sounding warnings (whether they are
unhealthy or not, I can't comment. The code works as advertised.)

. produces a great _boost_ in CGI performace.

  I'd have to benchmark the pair to quantify the acceleration but it
  is _good_. For example a hostgroup with 24 hosts and 84 services that
  used to load in an extremely relaxed manner, now loads _quickly_.

  The result is very impressive.

This installation is very modest: 192 hosts, 383 services on a box
running SEC, apache, no database, snmptrapd, snmpd, sendmail and
sshd. Load average <= 30% on a Dell 350, Celeron 833/256MB RAM/IDE (no
Nag optimisation apart from parallelisation, ePN, and chained hash
patch [Yay!]).

Performance Information
   Last Updated: Fri Mar 26 19:50:19 EST 2004
   Updated every 90 seconds
   Nagios® - www.nagios.org
   Logged in as anwsmh

   Program-Wide Performance Information

   Active Checks:
         Time Frame       Checks Completed
   <= 1 minute:           31 (7.9%)
   <= 5 minutes:          295 (75.6%)
   <= 15 minutes:         332 (85.1%)
   <= 1 hour:             332 (85.1%)
   Since program start:   332 (85.1%)
           Metric           Min.    Max.   Average
   Check Execution Time:   < 1 sec 33 sec 1.487 sec
   Check Latency:          < 1 sec 1 sec  0.015 sec
   Percent State Change:   0.00%   0.00%  0.00%
   Passive Checks:
         Time Frame       Checks Completed
   <= 1 minute:           0 (0.0%)
   <= 5 minutes:          0 (0.0%)
   <= 15 minutes:         0 (0.0%)
   <= 1 hour:             0 (0.0%)
   Since program start:   0 (0.0%)
           Metric          Min.  Max.  Average
   Percent State Change:   0.00% 0.00% 0.00%

I am very pleased with the result and than Mr Down very much for his
work.

Others have noted that the availability and trend CGIs need more work
with this patch. This is not an issue for me; should it be, I will
follow Mr Leamans advice and use unpatched versions.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.