Passive service checks should sometimes reschedule active checks?

Christopher Gurnee gurnec at gis.net
Tue Mar 23 01:25:16 CET 2004

Incidentally, I'm looking at Nagios 2.0, I'm not sure what 1.x is
doing...

When a passive service check comes in which triggers a state type change
(hard->soft or soft->hard), I'd think it would be a good idea to
reschedule any associated active service check according to new check
interval (retry_check_interval or normal_check_interval, respectively).
This way, if the max_check_attempts > 1, and retry_check_interval is
much shorter than normal_check_interval, a critical passive service
check will cause an active service check to be executed earlier,
possibly leading to a new critical *hard* state earlier.

As it is now, it looks like a passive service check never causes an
active check to get rescheduled. Would this change make sense?

Thanks for any input,
Chris

P.S. I've attached the patches I posted earlier here (before they
weren't attachments; not sure why I did it that way). Hopefully they
could make their way into the current CVS someday? Please see for
details:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4058102&forum_id=
1872