a word against web interfaces

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Thu Jun 17 11:26:19 CEST 2004

Deomid Ryabkov wrote:

> the discussion of sql-based configuration made me worry about future of nagios,
> so i thought i'd put in a word for text configuration.
>
> web configuration is obviously evil.

Why 'obviously'?  Web configuration is ideally suited to alterations:
- Easy to use.
- Can be used where ftp/telnet access is not possible.
- Does not require a restart to nagios.
- Does not require in depth training about format/layout.
- On-screen help ensures a flatter learning curve.
- Can make use of CGI controls like CHECKBOX and SELECT to ensure less
chance of error.
- A good security model using HTML authentication.

I cannot see web configuration as 'obviously' evil, and I would be very
interested to know why you feel this way.

I believe this is a huge gain for nagios and will ensure greater
acceptance and far less support requests, as well as a far more
professional feel to the program.  These are my of course my personal
views only. :)

Regards, Ben.