a word against web interfaces

Dan Hopkins dan.hopkins at uk.easynet.net
Thu Jun 17 11:18:05 CEST 2004

<snip>
> when you need conveniece, you go back to the good old text
> editor and do your
> work, cutting and pasting, and merging, and deleting and whatever.
> sql MIGHT be an alternative (although I still don't see much
> use it could have),
> but the most obvious and convenient way of configuration (and
> by that i mean
> text configuration) MUST stay there.

To explain why some of use do use a SQL bakend for our configuration, look
at the larger scale - we have 5000+ services over 5000+ hosts being added
to, deleted from and updated 24x7 by many users at several physical sites.
The config is split over multiple distributed Nagios clusters. Direct
updating of the text config is unfeasable, so we use a DB backend and
generate text configs from it periodically. (and, yes, there is a wfe to the
SQL backend ;-)

> to anyone who might find this offensive, i express my
> apologies in advance,
> all i wanted is my point made crystal clear.

No offense taken - I hope this might explain why some of us go the route we
do...

--
Dan Hopkins
Systems Developer, easynet Ltd.