Announce: new DB-based Configuration System (beta)

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Thu Jun 17 09:53:17 CEST 2004

Dear Ian,

You request some feedback.  I have looked at the schema and I was just
wondering whether you might want to consider adding a PRIMARY KEY to all
tables, as well as some FOREIGN KEY definitions to join the tables together?

Although the schemas will work perfectly without these, this will help
the DBMS forming good JOINs where requested, speeding up queries.  This
will also introduce referential integrity.  Which will stop corruption
(miss-linked information and missing linked information) being entered
into the system either as user error or a programatical error.

I use these ideas as standard on all work I do, in the context of OSS
projects and my paid-work, and find this can make an enormous difference
in the long run.

Regards, Ben Clewett.